Pax Christi STL Meeting
January 13, 2015, 7:00 pm
St. Alphonsus Liguori “The Rock” Church
In attendance: Kathy, Laura and Tom , Fr. Jim, Wilma, Carla Mae , Gary, Carol, Mary Pat.
We will stay with Tuesdays for the next three meetings, February 10 and March 10 and April 14.
- Pax Christ Int’l pilgrimage to Bethlehem at the end of May. The PC Int’l World Assembly will take place at the end of the pilgrimage.
- How do we drive more traffic to the website?
- Interfaith Partnership is still taking registrations for Parliament of World Religions. Find out how to get involved:http://www.interfaithstl.org/
events/event/parliament-of- the-worlds-religions/ See what is going on internationally at their website: http://www. parliamentofreligions.org/ fixing
- Follow Charter of Compassion upcoming events at: www.charterofcompassion.org or locallywww.compassionatestl.org.
- World Religion Readings starting Jan. 28: Muslims, Jews and Christians participate on Wednesday, 12:10-1:30 for seven Wednesdays, from January 28 through March 8 at The Aquinas Institute. Anyone is welcome.
- College Church has contacted The Rock Church about collaborating on an initiative on race. Perhaps starting a dialog with a screening of Selma. More information forthcoming and Kathy will pass it along as it develops.
- PCART workshop on March 14 at the Wash U Catholic Student Center
- Will be an all day workshop with two speakers from Chicago (Tom Cordaro) and Richmond, VA (Cathy Woodson). 8:30am – 5pm
- Biggest task now is to fundraise for the workshop. We received letterhead from PCUSA and we need everyone to send out at least one letter.
- Laura will talk to the Archdiocese.
- Let Laura know whom you will be soliciting.
o Jim already received a commitment of $100 from the Dominican Friars.o Anna Sandidge has already pledged $500 from the CSJ justice ministry.o Mary Pat will send a letter to St. Cronan’s.o Wilma will send a letter to Drury Inn. Idea: One benefit to Drury for supporting the event is we could use their notepads and pens.o Carol will send a letter to the Benedictineso Sr. Carla Mae will send a letter to Richard DeBona and the pastor of College Church.o Kathy and Wilma will request from The Rock.o We need a volunteer to look into the Vatterott Foundation.o Carol will send a letter to Most Holy Trinity parish.o Need to volunteer to contact Sisters of Mercyo Laura will send a letter to School Sisters of Notre Dame. Paulette Zimmerman is the social justice coordinator.
o Need a volunteer to look into NCCJ.o Need a volunteer to contact Incarnate Word Foundationo Someone should call Marie Kenyon. Not sure if she has a budget, but we are asking for $100. (Laura will attempt) If anyone know her personally – please let me know
- The letter on letterhead should be in our e-mail tomorrow. We can use that as a base and customize it for our contacts.
- Food: They would like us to do it in a way that requires the least amount of time, so box lunches or something quick. Kathy coordinating food.
• Mary Pat will oversee the budget.• Need to figure out how much to reimburse per mile, perhaps .56/mile.• Need to clarify how Cathy is to handle getting her ticket.
Notes about March 14 Workshop
- Everyone who participates needs to commit for the entire session. 8:30am – 5pm
- Need to decide whether to invite young people – can they really commit to the whole session?
- Sr. Carla Mae expressed that we should be explicit about the requirements.
- Ask John and Rob about their peers at other high schools. Could they recommend kids? Need to put together a one-pager on what the event is and what is required so the students know what they are getting into.
- Ask the history museum about using some of their resources on the history of race relations in St Louis.
- We will make the meeting all on Saturday (as opposed to breaking it up between Friday night and Saturday).
- We need name tags
- What outcome do we want from this workshop?
o Increase our own understanding of racismo See the possibility of ripple effects — Participants share the information. Challenge participants to give one presentation.o What does it mean in a sustained manner, an ongoing response to Ferguson.o Do more intentional outreach to people of color to join PC USA to help us do our anti-racism work.
- What do we want to call this workshop? Something to do with sustained, systemic change. Suggestions below:
o Peace begins with Me; A Pax Christi Anti-Racism Workshopo Resisting Racism in St. Louis
The meeting adjourned at 8:20 pm.