Pax Christi Meeting
December 2, 2014
7:00 pm at St. Alphonsus Liguori “The Rock” Church
In attendance: Kathy, Laura and Tom, Fr. Jim, Wilma, Carla Mae, Lucy, Gary, Christine, Patricia, Mary Pat.
We started by recognizing Carla Mae for being honored with the Malachi Award. The funds from this award will go toward students who want to study Jewish/Christian relations. Congratulations Sr. Carla Mae!
- We discussed possibly changing the meetings to the first Tuesday of the month. We still have to make sure we can get a room at the church. Laura will let Wilma know by next week so we can confirm meeting space. The first Tuesday in January is 1/6/15.
- The letter we wrote about Ferguson was posted on the Pax Christi USA website and FB. It will be sent to:
o St. Louis Reviewo St. Louis Post-Dispatcho St. Louis Americano Catholic Magazine
- Anti-racism training: We can use the Catholic Student Center at Wash U for no charge. PC USA would like us to collect donations and send in one lump sum to the DC office. We would like people to write their checks to Pax Christi.
o Budget of $2,000. Possibly ask 20 churches/religious orders for $100 each.o Laura and Mary Pat will draft a fundraising letter.o We will get PC USA letterhead stationary and work to get letters sent by early January 2015.o We will start (by e-mail) to brainstorm parishes/orders/group members we could approach about sending a request letter so we can “hit the ground running” in January.o Carla Mae suggested we contact the Office of Education. Ed H. is in charge of adult education. He would know who is in charge of the schools. Speak personally with him. Tell him Laura is the facilitator of Pax Christi St. Louis and we want to see if people could get credit/certification for the training course.o Would the Archdiocese give a grant to support the training? Who would it be? Catholic Charities. Could Javier O. help? Kathy will ask. Ed Hogan would be a good contact.
o Where and how will be publicize the event?
- Laura will set up a FB page for PC St Louis.
- Church bulletins
- Half-page flyers
- Make an electronic copy to be distributed by the group and friends.
- Call Don Marsh
o Who do we want to attend?
- Parishes with a social justice committee
- People who have gone through JustFaith training
- College students
- Possibly high school students (with a recommendation from a teacher and paired up with mentors)
- What if we made it a point to really invite students of color from Ferguson and/or Cardinal Ritter?
- Catholic parishes in Ferguson?
o Food: We will use donated funds to hire a caterer, possibly an African American-owned business. Cheryl McNeil (Business: Aren’t You Hungry?). Diner’s Delight. Maybe a Ferguson caterer.
- Update on Compassionate St. Louis: The Nov 13 meeting went very well. 200 people were there. The next town hall meeting will be in April 2015. 7 groups from the community were there including 3 ministers from Ferguson. It was covered in the STL Post-Dispatch.
- We discussed what people thought about the Rams demonstration of solidarity and the public reaction to it.
- Prayer Healing Service this Thursday at St. Alphonsus Liguori Church. It will be from 7:00 – 8:30 pm. The topic will be on changing the narrative on raising the Black male.
- How can we help Ferguson?
- Support the businesses
- Invite people to participate in everything that we are doing.
- Show up at prayer services/meetings of support that are taking in Ferguson.
- Do we want to do something more specific? Help clean up? Laura will distribute information about specific needs to the PC STL group.
- One of the things we can do is keep the conversation going and not let the conversation fade out. We won’t let things go back to “Business as usual.”
The meeting adjourned at 8:00 pm.